I've really been, to borrow a friend's word, intrigued, by this election campaign. Not just the players and the game, but how so many well meaning, intelligent adults can come to so many "right" and opposing conclusions about the same issues. I wondered why people think the way they do? Are they believing one side's rhetoric, and dismissing the others? Is it how they grew up? Do they base their decision on one experience or issue? Basically, How do individuals arrive at their value system, and how does it affect their political views, if they choose to have political views. As you might imagine, I came up with no answers. (But I will eagerly read the dissertation after someone does the research and writes the paper.) I was finally able to evaluate my own political value system, however, and determine my motivation for choosing one candidate over another.
You may rightly call me the Mayor of Simpleton, but there is a litmus test that I use when deciding whom to vote for. The Family. That is my only test. I base my political decisions on what is good for Families. -Not just My Family, but Families as the foundation for all that is good and hopeful for the future. For raising whole, healthy adults with the ability to carry the torch when it is their turn.
There is a phrase that has been running through my head these past weeks, I finally found it in the following quote.
"The strength of any community lies in the strength of its families. The strength of any nation lies in the strength of its families."
I used to not believe that statement, I believed that policies could mould behavior and that we just needed the right policies. As I grew, I learned the value of correct teaching. I learned that policies, however well intentioned, don't undo a foundation of ignorance, hopelessness, or laziness. I learned that teaching correct behavior, like our great grandparents used to do, make well-adjusted, mature (unmedicated) adults that in turn, make good policies. The following is a few of the traits that I feel make well-adjusted, heathy adults, in any town, in any culture. The more of these adults we have around, the better our world will be.
Healthy adults take personal responsibility! They make mistakes and learn from them. They know that not all natural consequences can be taken away or even reduced. For instance, if you are having sex, you may get pregnant. It is wrong to kill a child for your lack of judgment or unwillingness to step up to the plate and learn from a mistake. An unwanted pregnancy provides an opportunity for selflessness that is redeeming and healing. It is called adoption.
Healthy adults work hard! They are given opportunity, not handouts. They fill their financial obligations. If they borrow, they pay back. If they take risks, they accept the outcome and don't make excuses.
Healthy adults resist selfishness! They do not seek to take advantage of others for their own gain! They know that every action has an effect on their fellow humans sharing the planet. There are no such things as strangers; just friends you haven't met. Who's idea was it to issue Wal-Mart credit cards? Who is going to use those cards the most? The shoppers of Wal-Mart are some of the lowest income, the card (if an unscrupulous bank will give them credit -of course one will) will give them an opportunity to get some necessities, and the mechanism for excess, and then the rest of the community (country) will end up bailing out the banks through tax dollars, and our local community members will be more in debt, or bankrupt. Hardly fostering a strong community or confident independent adults.
Healthy adults are honest! They are genuine. They can be trusted. You do not have to guard for hidden agendas, or manipulation. You do not have to wonder where there loyalty lies. It kills me how many people are out there for themselves at the expense of others and their own integrity. You may not agree with their views, but you do not have to wonder about their motivation.
Additionally, the best arrangement for raising healthy adults is in a home with a Mom and a Dad! Having both genders, with all their opposing and complementing behaviors is an important dichotomy in a healthy home. A Civil Union is a legal commitment between members of the same sex. A Marriage is a legal commitment between members of the opposite sex. By nature they are different relationships, with a different dynamic, and we should have different terms to identify them as such.
Does this mean intolerance and religious dogmatism as law? No. Neither does it mean social progressivism to the exclusion of what history has taught about civilization's revolving patterns of evolution and de-evolution and what used to be known as common sense. Healthy adults know that we all have different opinions and backgrounds, and can work and communicate and VOTE together, to maintain a civil, functioning society.
The rest of the above quote is as follows.
"Strong family life comes of strong and clear religious understanding of who we are, and why we are here, and of what we may eternally become. Strong family life comes of the perception that each of us is a child of God, born with a divine birthright, and with a great and significant potential. Strong family life comes of parents who love and respect one another, and who love and respect and nurture their children in the ways of the Lord. These are undergirding principles of our teachings as a church. To the degree that we observe these teachings, we build strong families whose generations will strengthen the nation."
Prophet Gordon B. Hinkley, 1999
You may feel that my religious leaning make my opinion less valid. But consider the validity of the position before you knew of a certainty how it originated. Religious associations or exposure should not be counted against one person, and allowed for by another. - but the double standard that abounds today is not today's soap box.
Look at the people who support -I'll say it - Barack Obama. Are those the people with whom you share an ideology? Preservationist Environmentalists? (as opposed to Wise-Use Environmentalists) Abortion availability at all costs to unborn babies and minors who are not yet really aware of the consequences of their choice? Socialist healthcare and banks? "Spreading the wealth around" should not be mandated by law, but freely given by caring, generous citizens. - but I digress- again
How do you choose one issue's importance over another? How do you accurately evaluate each and every policy? I choose a candidate whom I feel I can trust (as much as you can trust a politician who isn't Mr. Smith), with whom I share a basic
ideology and value system. One who values Families as the foundation of civilization. This year I choose John McCain. But that's just my opinion.
A great site to help you evaluate your pet issues. Glassbooth
Less than 5 min. Interesting results.
Tons of political t-shirts. Check out both candidates, it's interesting. http://shop.cafepress.com/elections08 (some of these are bad, look at your own risk)
3 comments:
What a great post. You can so eloquently state what you are thinking.
Oh, how I miss living by you during election time!
Brilliantly written. I won't tell you who glass both told me I should vote for. Don't be overly concerned who I vote for though, Montana still looks pretty red this year, and I still vote in the Treasure State.
Post a Comment