29 August 2012

Meet Harriette



Harriette began her life on White Sands Missle Range.  Yet she was destined for life in the suburbs. 

 In 1950 the Oryx population on the African Plains was dangerously low.  So low that they relocated enough breeding pairs to mantain a population in southwest New Mexico.  Now there are enough herds that they need to be "maintained."  Dad has no problems helping out with that maintenance.

"The oryx, or gemsbok, is a large (450 pounds) African antelope that now lives in southern New Mexico. Oryx were introduced onto the White Sands Missile Range by the state of New Mexico to establish a huntable big game population. Oryx have successfully adapted to the area and have spread throughout the Tularosa Basin, including White Sands National Monument. The National Park Service considers the oryx to be a threat to the park's native plants and animals and has fenced the monument boundary to exclude the oryx."

So...I'm not exactly an interior decorator, and I have certainly never been acused of having "taste."  But I do know that taxidermy is not exactly my "thing."  However, since it seems I HAVE to have something of this sort in my living space, at least it's a bit novel and unique.  (And she tasted good too.)






2 comments:

Lori said...

You're funny. I agree...at least she is unique. I am, however, a little disturbed at the naming of the thing. But it is...was...is a pretty thing anyway :)

Kathleen said...

yikes. i can't believe you ate "her." yikes.