10 March 2008
Space Museum
We have a pretty cool Space Museum in our town and we have gone a few times already, but this is the first time I thought to bring my camera.
This room had all shapes and sizes of missiles throughout history. The Museum really has it all. -Even the 'Monkey Suit' (I don't think that's what they call it) that was worn by the first Chimpanzee in space. (Yes, this is yet another shameless ploy to get folks to come visit us.)
This physicist is demonstrating how the carbon layer over a gypsum Space Shuttle tile protects the Shuttle during reentry. I think the first graders mostly like the blowtorch -but the concept is there.
This photo is too dark, but maybe you get the idea that Yippie-Skippie is holding a good sized meteorite. It was pretty heavy and everyone thought it was really neat. Bonus goes to whoever can tell me how they keep the meteorite from rusting. If anyone knows or guesses correctly, I'll have to send you a prize. (Ice cream gift certificates maybe?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We don't know the answer to your question, but Jaydee is working on it. He always likes a challenge! He also reminded me that we went to the museum years ago...atleast 3kids ago! I remember certain displays from it. Looks like your family had a great time.
Here is a guess. Um...sun?
The answer is WD-40. Meteorites have a lot of iron in them, it's part of what makes them so heavy. It also makes them rust easily, so they spray this one with WD-40. cool, huh?
Post a Comment